Saturday 31 March 2012

Lots and lots of shops

I spent yesterday vistiting three very different and lovely shops, two of which I stock and the other one I really like!

Recently I was successful in an application, through Craft NI, to stock the N.Ireland Assembly's gift shop for 6 months.  So yesterday I kitted out half a shelf in the fairly compact, but very frequently visited shop in Stormount with an extensive range of my lampworked glass jewellery.  I had never been in the Assembly building before and was really impresssed by the highly decorative interior.  Next time I'm up there I will make time for a proper look around!
 Some of my jewellery displayed in the gift shop at Stormount.


I then headed down the coast of Strangford Lough to Killyleagh, and the Kingfisher Craft Gallery which stocks my jewellery and some blown glass pieces.  Lorraine Lawson only opened the doors of the gallery a few months ago and already I needed to restock my work!  It's a nice mix of higher end craft and handmade gifts.
Blown Glass vase in my 'Flow' range and jewellery

Pieces that caught my eye: Uel Coulter's 'Second Hand' clocks and Sharon Regan's ceramic donkey.

I then headed back up the road to Comber for I Do Cartwheels (yes, that's the name of the studio/design shop!!) Spring Open evening celebrating one year of the Comber Courtyard.  Donna Bates set up the studio/shop to showcase her beautiful and very creatively restored furniture.  You will also find vintage and contemporary interiors items for sale there.                                                                                                                                        Donna is a trained furniture maker and the evening also saw the unveiling of the 'Ogilby' armchair, a collaboration with fellow furniture designer/maker John Piekaar.  I love both Donna and John's work individually, and the outcome of the collaboration did not dissappoint!  The pair of armchairs were inspired by the shoreline of Strangford Lough, but also references the lines of classic scandinavian designed furniture.  The colours of the upholstery were a lovely combination of hay yellow and a muted teal...and they were even very comfortable to sit on!




No comments:

Post a Comment