Wednesday 21 August 2013

Making new work in Stourbridge

Two weeks ago I was in Stourbridge again, blowing some 'Wild Flowers' for the Prince's Trust's Tomorrow Store, due to open in several weeks.  I also had a day making some new pieces at Stourbridge Glassblowing Studio.  I have decided to expand my range of glass pieces and focus on some of the simple and key elements of my style.  I combined the form of my 'Humbug' pieces and did two colour overlay pieces, a transparent over an opaque, you can see the results below.  The portrait shots are by up and coming photographer George Charles Maudsley.

Initial sketchbook plans

Starting off with a lump of solid light blue colour

Layer of clear, molten glass

Dropping on transparent pink for the overlay

'Necking in' (constricting part of the vessel so it can be detached from the blowing pipe)


Ian Bamforth assisting me

Ian blows the piece while I shape and cool it with newspaper

Using Paper Jacks to shape the piece

Opening the vessel

Shaping with newspaper

Using a sofietta to blow out the top

Final shaping before finishing

The finished pieces

Note the contrast between interior and exterior colour



No comments:

Post a Comment