Wednesday 29 May 2013

Interview

I recently did an interview with Stuart Russell of Arts in Fife.  If you click here you can see his article.

I thought it might be interesting to put my answers to his questions on here.


Stuart: What do you like best about working with glass?

There are 2 distinctive characteristics about working in glass that keep me motivated and inspired:
  1. The natural properties of the material; it’s potential to transit light, and the optical effects made possible, and it’s purity of colour.
  2. The physical, technical and almost magical aspect of working in molten glass.  There is a flow and rhythm of movement that must match the glass’ movements in order to master the material.  A high level of technical expertise is required which can always be improved upon (you never get bored!) and sometimes the ‘accidents’ are the greatest discoveries.

Stuart: What inspires your work?

My starting point is an observation of nature or my environment.  I am very much drawn to pattern, and how this works with colour and light.  I strive to create abstracted and simple pieces that are visually removed from the original source of inspiration.  Processes of colour application in glassblowing also inspire me, I enjoy experimenting with technique.

Stuart: Using only 3 words, how would you describe your designs?

Bold, simple, colourful

Stuart: Do you have a favourite piece?

I think my ‘Eye Candy’ range is the most complete/resolved of all my work.  They are technically difficult to make and laborious to finish (creating the circular pattern on the surface by grinding and polishing lenses) and yet their simple and bold presence belies this.

Stuart: Are there any creative people you admire?

Yes, lots!!  
Firstly, my boyfriend potter Adam Frew.  He has a natural virtuosity in creating his porcelain vessels, and an unbounded creativity in his experimentation with form and mark making.  It’s so helpful to have someone whose aesthetic you respect in order to bounce ideas off.  That’s not to say we always agree!!
Secondly, my good friend textile designer/maker Nicola Farrell who has a great eye for design and a very scandinavian bent.  She is also the most meticulous person I know, every detail is considered and perfected.
Glass wise, I admire Ned Cantrell and Karen Nyholm, who run a studio in Denmark and who I had a short spell working for.  I think they have a very courageous and hard working attitude.  They haven’t let anything hold them back or stifle their creativity.
...but these are only a few of many!

'Eye Candy' blown glass pieces, group

No comments:

Post a Comment